Now that I’m forced to Adult pretty much all the time, school ending and summertime kicking off doesn’t excite me the same as it did, oh 15 years ago. I almost wish work would close down for a month so we could really have summer break too, and not just limited vacation. Oh well, a girl can dream right. Work won’t be too much of a big deal though, I can still look forward to warm weather, long weekend nights and cocktails.
A few years ago while down in Miami I tried a mojito for the first time, and honey I’m hooked. The muddled mint and lime with a nice rum makes the perfect cocktail to sip on a hot summer day. There are so many ways to add a fun twist to this classic cocktail, add some fresh fruit or a flavored rum and experiment.
I had picked up some flavored rums from Cruzan a while ago and the peach was a favorite. Mint and lime are the main flavors in a traditional mojito but I wanted a little extra burst without overpowering so I also added some fresh blackberries. I wanted to keep a strong mint flavor so instead of topping this mojito off with club soda I used minta flavored mint soda instead.
This refreshing fruit twist on my favorite classic summer cocktail hit the spot that night and I’m sure it will be one of my go to drinks this summer.
- 6oz white rum
- 12 mint leaves roughly torn
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons simple sugar
- ½ cup blackberries
- 1 can minta soda (can substitute any clear carbonated beverage)
- Sliced Limes
- Place a handful of ice in a cocktail shaker; add rum, sugar, berries, muddle a few mint leaves with the lime juice and add to the shaker; shake well and pour over ice. Top each glass with the minta soda. Garnish each glass with one or two slices of lime a few berries, and some mint leaves.