I have always been one for giving back to my community and right now Walmart is making giving easy with their Fight Hunger initiative.
During the campaign period when you purchase an item from any supplying partner , 1 meal will be donated for each item purchased. As I browsed through my local Walmart this past week I made it a point to pick up items from participating suppliers to help the cause.
In my Walmart in addition to the products being on the shelves in there normal locations a few were highlighted on end caps and the seasonal food aisle was dedicated to participating products making them easy to spot. Visit Walmart.com/FightHunger to watch the real time giving tracker, learn more about food banks in your area and see a list of participating products from participating suppliers Unilever, General Mills, ConAgra, Campbell’s, Kellogg’s, and Kraft.
For our Saturday snack this week we went with tangy nachos. The tangy comes from kicking up the meat using a can of sloppy joe, which happens to be one of the foods you can purchase to help the cause.
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 can sloppy joe sauce
- 1 package tortilla chips
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- Handful green onions, pico de gallo, jalapenos or garnish of choice.
- 1. In a large skillet cook meat of medium heat until no longer pink and drain;
- 2. Add 1 can sloppy joe sauce and cook uncovered for 5 minutes or until heated through;
- 3. Arrange tortilla chips on serving plate, place plate on oven safe tray/cookie sheet, add meat on top of tortilla chips and sprinkle with cheese;
- 4. Place in oven under broiler for 1-2 minutes to allow cheese to melt;
- 5. Remove plate from oven and garnish with desired toppings.
- Enjoy! Yields approximately 4 servings.
Giving is easy, don’t underestimate your power to make a difference. There are a few ways to participate, so I hope you can take a minute and help support the cause by purchasing a participating item, donating at the register or sharing about the campaign on social media using #WeSparkChange #Shop2Give.
Get involved visit Walmart.com/FightHunger for more information.
- 1 purchased item = 1 meal*
- Register giving ($1, $2, $5 or other)
- Social sharing 1x = 1 meal
*The monetary equivalent of meals will be donated. $0.10 is equivalent to one meal secured by Feeding AmericaⓇ on behalf of local member food banks. See Walmart.com/FightHunger for details.
DISCLAIMER: Walmart is not responsible for donating the meals, the supplier partners listed above are responsible for that.
|*Feeding America National Office Approved Meal Cost Calculation
(Effective July 1, 2014 — June 30, 2015)$1 helps provide 10 meals
1 meal is equivalent to $0.10Secured by Feeding AmericaⓇ on behalf of local member food banks